Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mammas Can Move!! (With our Baby!)

I recently started teaching a DanceFIT Babies class.  Well, before you imagine all these adorable little babies in pink tutus, I have to tell you that I am thinking a little selfishly on this one.  Picture very happy moms (because they finally get to go workout!) with a baby bijorn on, holding their little one close to their heart and ready to do some fitness. 

We are hard core!  My friend Tanya (another fitness professional) and I designed this program to give moms a unique barre workout while dancing and holding their precious one that they couldn't fathom leaving at home with a babysitter.  My son Tommy (10 months old) loves this class!  He even holds onto the barre when I am facing it doing exercises.  He just learned to clap and of course claps for me and all the other mommies when exercises get tough ;)

So, what can you possibly do with a baby strapped to you?  Let me tell you, with a 20 pound child attached to you, this just makes the average workout much harder!   We do plies (demi and grande), tondus, degagees, matwork and even incorporate some salsa and dancing in the beginning to warm up.  I teach it with Tanya which has made this class so peaceful for me.  If Tommy is crying or fussy, I don't freak out and stress, she just takes the exact exercise I was working on and finishes counting and adds on the next exercise.  Her baby hardly ever fusses so I don't have to do this much for her;  I love co-teaching and look forward to this class every Tuesday morning. 

After this class Tommy sleeps for 3 hours.  Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment