Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Instructor Spotlight: Maeve Byrne


Many of you know her and love her and can't get enough of her classes! Her famous Zumba® classes are amazing--they boast record-breaking attendance, booty shaking choreography, kind words of motivation and a very comfortable atmosphere to let loose and let the hour of dance (and extreme calorie burning) fly by!  Maeve is a beautiful person, both inside and out.  I have seen her go above and beyond for teaching at charity events, encouraging clients & using her talent & creativity when choreographing her fun and easy-to-follow dances.


I am very excited to announce that Maeve recently accepted a more active role in the business side of DanceFIT.  As our new Marketing Director, she has been very proactive in upcoming projects and events for the fall--stay tuned--we have lots of exciting things happening!  This past month Maeve has also been a huge help in the overwhelming administrative duties that come along with running a very popular dance & fitness studio  (many of you might have received e-mails from her lately!). Maeve, I can't thank you enough for your incredible professionalism, enthusiasm and dedication to the community and growth of my studio!

I wanted to take this chance to interview Maeve and let you all get to know her a little bit better :)

How did you get hooked on Zumba® --where and how did the addiction begin?
I grew up in dance classes, cheerleading, a dance team in college- and missed dance in my adult life.  I heard about zumba and decided to try it at my gym and instantly fell in love!!!  At the end of my first class I was drenched in sweat and had a great time dancing- from then on, I never missed a class.

What is your favorite Zumba dance & song?
I love doing a Reggaeton- they are full of attitude and of course my fav- booty shakin!  Current favorites- anything with Pitbull and "Zumba He Zumba Ha."

What are two of your favorite DanceFIT classes and why?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cardio & Core- every class is a little bit different- I always feel like I got an amazing full body workout, and I love getting my dance fix in at hip hop.

Outside of DanceFIT what do you like to do to workout?
I love to take walks on the beach or around the city- exploring and people watching while getting a workout!  But there are times that I like to jump on the elliptical machine and just power through for a few miles. 

What is your fashion style?? We always see you in cute workout clothes!  What would we find you shopping for and give an example of your weekend style?
I love fashion...and a bit obsessed with shoes (seriously, it is bad for my wallet).  I usually go for a chic look and add a few trendy touches to it.  I love a great pair of jeans, a perfect fitted blazer and funky high heels and giant cocktail ring.  Think Charlotte with a touch of Carrie (for all those Sex and the City fans).

We all know you are a great motivator and an excellent 6FIT example, but what would we see on your plate for a summer dinner?
The best part of summer is being able to BBQ.  You can make a really delicious & healthy meal!  My dinner plate would have some grilled chicken or a turkey burger (maybe a hot dog-not so healthy, but always yummy) and corn on the cob!  Veggies on the bbq with some salt & pepper- you can't beat it!

What is your favorite post workout snack, meal or drink?
I've become addicted to the vita coco waters- they are the best at keeping me hydrated after teaching a class- then I usually have a snack of fruit or some veggies & hummus. 


What is your guilty food indulgence?
PIZZA!!  I could eat pizza everyday- plus I have a weakness for cupcakes (red velvet is the best).  

As a participant (and coordinator) in the 6FIT program, what parts do you try and apply to your lifestyle now?
I try to keep a healthy balance in my meals.  If I snack- I try to eat fruits & veggies.  I am very inspired by Michael Pollan and his methods that we reference in 6FIT- especially the ever challenging hunt.gather.grow week (but I don't think I can ever give up coffee!).


Where is your favorite Boston hotspot?
The Beehive- great food...great drinks & fun girls night out type of place! 

Favorite "adult" beverage?
Can never pass up a cosmo!


What is your alltime favorite movie?
Dirty Dancing!  BEST. MOVIE. EVER


What has been your most memorable trip thus far?
I loved my trip to Paris.  It was everything I imagined Paris would be and more!! It was an amazing girls trip with my mom, aunt & cousin.  I fell in love with the city, we went sightseeing, sat in cafes, ate, drank and soaked up all the culture.  We went to the ballet, saw Versailles, and even convinced my mother who's deathly afraid of heights to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower!  I'll never forget my summer in Paris!

Who inspires you?
My mom.  I love her and would be lost in life without her.  She works, volunteers, survived cancer and is still always there for me and our family.  I hope to be as strong and amazing as she is! 

What is your favorite blog?  
TheBloggess.com.  You can't ignore a blog with the tagline "Like Mother Theresa, Only Better."  The Bloggess is hysterical and gives us an uncensored look at her life- marriage, kids, and an outlook on life.  Trust me- its hilarious & addicting!


What projects have you been working on with DanceFIT lately?
We have some very exciting things coming up this fall!! Our Zumba Party in Pink--which I'm beyond excited to have at DanceFIT!  A few members of my family have been affected by breast cancer so it is important to me to make a difference and raise money for a cure.  Plus, we have recently teamed up with Vita Coco water- they are going to be a big part of our 6FIT program as well as providing us with their delicious and healthy drinks at our events!!


What is your favorite quote?
"When we know better- we do better." ~Oprah  

Sweet words from Maeve's dedicated Zumba crowd!
I love Maeve's class because her upbeat personality is very motivating and it's a blast dancing with her. I also think she does a great job of mixing up the playlist between the more traditional Latin songs and current pop songs. It's a smart way to pace the hour and keeps it fun!  From coming twice a week, I can see more definition in my arms and legs. It's been a really fun and easy way to get back in shape! - Ellen O.

Maeve's song choices and dancing styles are really varied from song to song so I always feel like we're on to something new. She's also very good at breaking down steps and showing the degrees of difficulty in a single move that we can work up to over time as we get more comfortable. I know Maeve works us hard because I sleep like a baby after class! I've been going to her classes regularly now for a year and my legs, especially thighs, have become noticeably more toned. Maeve has pretty much turned me into a Zumba machine. :) - Sara O.

I love Maeve's Zumba class because it's the most fun I'd ever had working out! It's like you're dancing and you don't even notice you're working out! Plus, she always very nice and positive! I have never been so regular at any gym in my entire life! It actually makes me want to go to class. It helps motivate me to go to other classes too! I feel I have more energy and I sleep better too. - Sónia T.















No comments:

Post a Comment