Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Instructor Spotlight: Nicole Vaillancourt

Nicole is a DanceFIT gem!  She interviewed enthusiastically over a year old.  In her interview she talked with such passion about dancing and working with children.  Her background, experience and natural ability to connect with kids was a perfect fit! Even with a very busy schedule, she committed to co-teaching my Monday children's ballet classes and teaching an adult barre class at 6:15 AM, yes, AM...the DanceFIT ladies loved her early morning workouts! Nicole inspires me constantly with her positive attitude, big smiles and enthusiasm for her career as a professional dancer.  She is the perfect example of a hard working individual following all her dreams.  I hope you can try and take one of her virtual classes this fall--she will surely kick your booty through your computer screen.  (All with a smile on her face.)

 
How did you get hooked on dance--where and how did the addiction begin? 
My mother was a gymnast growing up and later an award winning body builder. She put me in gymnastics and dance at a very young age and I took dance lessons exclusively when I started competing in middle school. I went through that terrible teenage phase when I decided I was too cool for everything, including dance, but my mom wouldn't let me quit. And I am forever grateful for that.

What is your favorite form of dance? 
I am always getting asked this question, and my answer is always changing. It really depends on the point I am at in my life. Growing up it was definitely Tap. I competed numerous tap solos over the years. I loved the idea of making your own music with your feet, of there being limitless combinations of rhythms and sounds. It makes you feel like a musician. In college I favored Contemporary. As a Dance Minor, a major part of the curriculum is artistic expression and storytelling through original choreography. It was a great experience being a part of other people's works of art and having them help you execute yours. Today I'm partial to fun, upbeat jazz or "cheer" dance- anything that will entertain a crowd. It doesn't have to "mean" anything artistically, in fact, I'd prefer that it didn't. These days I get the most out of performing with a huge smile on and just having a good time.



What are two of your favorite DanceFIT classes and why?  
BalletFIT is definitely my favorite. It's funny because a lot of the exercises are the same ones you do growing up in ballet class. It wasn't until Gina made me look at them with a fresh set of eyes that I realized Ballet could be a total body workout for adults. Ballet has always been and still is the most effective form of exercise. I also really love Arms & Abs. Those are two areas of the body that generally don't receive as much attention as they can during a regular dance class, so an entire hour dedicated to them always leaves me sore for the rest of the week. That's a good thing though!
    
Outside of DanceFIT what do you like to do to workout? 
I don't have a car, so I walk almost everywhere I can. Boston is a very pedestrian-friendly city that has so many unique walking paths, scenic bike routes, and stair-heavy architecture. The stairs at the Porter Square T station or the outdoor steps at City Hall Plaza alone are great mini workouts! I truly believe it's possible to get plenty of exercise in your daily transitions from point A, to B, to C, etc.

What is your fashion style?? We always see you in workout clothes....what would we find you shopping and give an example of a weekend outfit :) 
 I worked for Urban Outfitters for 6 years so I have a lifetime worth of "non dance" clothes. I definitely don't miss thinking about what I'm going to wear to work. In the rare event that I AM going out somewhere that doesn't require dance clothes, you'll find me dressed down. I don't own any heels, not a single pair. And I own something like 25 plaid flannel shirts haha. I also love my tie dye. A lot of my workout clothes as well as regular clothes are tie dyed. 



We all know you keep a very busy schedule with making dance your career:  you dance for the Boston Cannons, teach dance classes all over Boston & even your most recent accomplishment of making the Bacardi Dance Team, how do you juggle it all?

Add graduate school to that list starting in a few weeks! I think the key to being healthy, happy, and sane is eating a huge breakfast and not taking yourself that seriously. I also keep a well organized planner and have to schedule things months in advance. Things that you shouldn't have to schedule, like hanging out with friends, I unfortunately do have to schedule. Most room for spontaneity goes out the door and I have to be ready for anything to happen last minute, like class or rehearsal cancellations or the addition of one. Don't get me wrong, I am overwhelmed all the time. But I think I would be bored if I only had one place to be all day. A 9 to 5 desk job just wasn't ever in the cards for me!

What is your favorite post workout snack, meal or drink? 
Coconut water! So refreshing after a long day of rehearsal and teaching.



What is your guilty food indulgence? 
Pizza with black olives and chips. I'm one of those people that craves salt all the time.

Who inspires you? 
Anyone and everyone who goes out of their way to do what they love. In the dance world, a lot of girls I know work full time jobs but spend countless extra hours at night and on the weekends driving around the state to teach, coach, rehearse, take class, and attend auditions. It's a special passion and drive. I have a few friends who are this way about making art and playing music. You just have to admire and respect someone who takes risks and won't stop until they make dreams realities.

What is your most super accomplishment to date? 
Going from not dancing at all to making dance my life again in only 4 months. Everything fell into place once I put myself out there again. I took lots of risks to get to where I am today and sometimes I still can't believe that this is all really happening. My life did a 180 since last September. A year ago today I was working a full time job that I hated, going out for drinks several times a week, struggling to finish undergrad, and taking hot yoga occassionally. Who was I kidding?   

Favorite blog?  Why?

The Free People blog... blog.freepeople.com It features a lot of inspirational quotes and images, an online book club, fashion tips, awesome healthy recipes, and DIY art projects to name a few things. I check it almost every day. I don't watch tv or read magazines so it keeps me somewhat connected with the "real world" and what other girls my age are doing and are interested in. 

Favorite quote?
"It is in all of us. To defy expectations. To go into the world and to be brave. And to want, to need, to hunger for adventures. To embrace change and chance and risk so that we may breathe and know what it is to be free." - Mae Chevrette. This is an original quote/painting by my friend Mae. I have a copy hanging in my room :)

Last question: As a participant in the 6FIT program, what parts of the program do you try and apply to your lifestyle now?  
EVERYTHING. The 6FIT program really is life changing. Tracking what you eat and drink and the amount of time you spend exercising and sleeping every day for 6 weeks really changes the way you think about things. In fact, it's hard to get OUT of the habit of charting. I really pay attention to how balanced my meals are. And I feel guilty if I don't get at least 30 min of exercise (walking counts too!) every day. I never used to factor in sleep to level of fitness and overall wellbeing. But it is true. You need plenty of sleep and lots of water. Those two were and still sometimes are the hardest challenges for me. I actually have a huge water bottle that I bought specifically for 6FIT to help me fulfill the water requirement and I take it with me everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment