Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Instructor Spotlight: Ali Baldassare


Welcome Ali to the DanceFIT Staff permanently!  Ali has been subbing for classes, teaching at workshops, and participating in 6FIT, but I am super excited to have to her teaching every Sunday at 4 PM.  Her classes are intense, upbeat and her energy is positively contagious--she doesn't stop movin'!  Ali is an amazing person--her passion for fitness is really inspiring, and she will have you dancing your heart out each week.  Come meet her! 
 

How did you get hooked on Zumba--where and how did the addiction begin?

I have danced all my life whether it was formal training, dance fitness classes, socially at parties, out with friends or even impromptu dance sessions in front of the mirror in my bedroom! I’ve had 12 years of formal dance training when I was younger -everything from tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, lyrical, you name it and then unfortunately I gave it up to play sports in highschool (what was I thinking?!).  Nevertheless, dance has always inspired me, moved me, challenged me and it has always been a huge part of my life.  I've also been a huge fitness enthusiast in general since I was young.  I don’t remember how I was first introduced to Zumba, but when I heard about it about a year and a half ago, one class at the gym was all it took and I was completely addicted.  It combines the three things I am the most passionate about – dance, fitness, & teaching.  It was love at first sight!  I don’t think I’ve ever had as much fun working out and sweating as I do during Zumba. It's not called a fitness party for nothing!

What is your favorite Zumba dance & song? Why?
I can’t pick a favorite – too many!  You will find a lot of Pitbull on my play list though! He always gets everyone’s booty shakin’!
Do you have a favorite DanceFIT class?
As a relatively new addition to the DanceFIT staff, I haven’t had the chance to experience too many other classes, except Maeve’s Zumba class which simply put, is awesome! I would love to get to some of Gina’s BalletFit classes – I heard they are intense!
Outside of DanceFIT what do you like to do to workout?
The question is what don’t I like to do?  In addition to the classes I teach, I love everything from Spinning, hiking, pilates, running and I absolutely love yoga.  I’m training for my first full marathon right now, so running and yoga are high priorities on my schedule these days – well at least for the next 3 months :-)  I also love to take other instructors classes - it keeps me challenged and I love being the student as well as the instructor.   




What is your fashion style?? We always see you in workout clothes....what would we find you shopping and give an example of a weekend outfit :)
I love fashion – which therefore means I love to shop – probably WAY too much.  It’s bad.  But anyone who knows me will tell you I’m a very thrifty shopper. I love finding bargains! Lately, I've been all about fashion meets comfort.  You can usually find me wearing black leggings or skinny jeans, some cute flats or sandals (swap this for some funky high heels if I'm going out at night) a cute silk top or tunic and definitely some funky jewelry.  I love to accessorize and I absolutely love big cocktail rings or a big statement necklace!


What would we see on your plate for a summer dinner?
Summer is all about the BBQ food for me! Cheeseburgers, hotdogs, pasta salad, corn on the cob and some fresh watermelon for dessert! (All of this not in one sitting of course!)  I also love a good summer salad (for a healthier option) – something like spinach salad with dried cranberries, almonds, goat cheese, and grilled chicken, topped with raspberry vinaigrette and a side of pita bread and hummus. 


What is your favorite post workout snack, meal or drink?
This might sound funny, but low fat chocolate milk.  After a hard workout, especially after a run, I crave something sweet! I could eat a huge donut afterwards, but I actually picked up the chocolate milk thing from a few people I run with because chocolate milk has a pretty good combination of protein, sugars, and carbs to replenish your body after a hard workout.  I also really enjoy mixing Luna Sports Mix in water or a good strawberry banana or peanut butter banana protein smoothie!

From participating in 6FIT with you and keeping up with your food & fitness logs, I know you keep a very busy schedule with a full time job, instructing spinning classes and Zumba all over Boston, how do you juggle it all?
I’m not going to lie, it’s tough and at some points absolutely exhausting and I feel like I'm always overwhelmed, but even though I do have a full time job, I look forward to teaching classes because that’s what I love and what I’m passionate about. It does take a good deal of preparation and organization each week to make sure I’m on top of everything I have to do, but I’ve come to manage it pretty well.  I keep a very robust calendar and I put absolutely everything from my 'to do' lists to my scheduled and 'potential' appointments & events on it and I try my best to schedule things in advance so I always know and can prepare for what's coming up.  Sometimes even plans with friends needs to be scheduled in advance and I always need to be prepared for things that come up or change at the last minute - because they always do.  I’m constantly researching and thinking up new class ideas, new music, new ways to challenge my classes so I’m the queen of making lists.   No matter what, once I get to class and I see everyone there ready to go it makes the craziness all worth it and it reminds me why I keep the schedule I do.  My classes motivate me and keep me going! 

What is your guilty food indulgence?
Steamed Chinese pork dumplings from a Chinese restaurant – I have no idea why but I LOVE them.  I also have the biggest sweet tooth, so dessert is a huge weakness in general but Chips Ahoy Soft Chewy Chocolate Chip cookies are the devil.  If I buy them, I will eat them all so you can guess what you will rarely find in my cabinet (and not because I ate them all – well maybe).
 
Who inspires you?
Both of my parents.  Although divorced, they have both been through so much in their lives and they have overcome a lot of obstacles in their lives both big and small.  My mom, especially, decided at the age of 50 that she wanted to go back to school to further her RN degree and pursue her doctorate in nursing.  It just goes to show you that age is not a factor in pursuing and doing what you love.  Both of them have taught me so much and they are two of the strongest people I know and my biggest supporters.  
Favorite blog?  Why?
One of my all time favorites is the Fitnessista (http://fitnessista.com).  She’s a personal trainer, group fitness instructor and she teaches Zumba too! Mainly she is a big health nut and blogs about her recipes, things she eats, drinks, bakes, and cooks.  She talks about her crazy life with her husband who is a pilot and gives great fitness tips, thoughts, and ideas and even shares some inspirations thoughts and quotes.  She has some great recipes which I’m dying to try and it overall is just really enjoyable to read and I can kind of relate to her crazy life.   She also is someone who struggled with her weight and turned to healthy eating and fitness to get in shape and stay in great shape which is very motivating!
 
Favorite quote?
 “Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's physical, emotional, and mental states." 
I love this one because it is so true!
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" - Michelangelo
This one is just a great reminder that we should always shoot for the stars and never think we can't achieve our goals.  Never just settle for "good", but go for GREAT!

Fun facts about you?!
I love scary movies!
I’m petrified of heights but I’m dying to go skydiving!
As a participant in the 6FIT program, what parts of the program do you try and apply to your lifestyle now? 
Every part, but I definitely try to stay conscious of the amount of water I drink - especially with how active I am.  6FIT promotes a greater awareness about your overall habits and especially the kinds of things you are actually putting into your body.  The hardest part of the program which is the "hunt, gather, grow" was especially life changing since you really don't realize how many processed foods you can consume in just one day.  I try to stay away from eating,  pre-packaged, canned and processed foods as much as I can, but it's still hard!  The program as a whole really promotes important lifestyle changes that stick with you even after the program is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment